Improving Health Care In Our Community
The positive impacts of the Health Care Reform Act will directly improve the lives of those living in the Sixth District. Specifically, the House Energy and Commerce Committee reports that this law will help the Sixth District alone in the following specific ways:
- Improve coverage for 476,000 residents with health insurance.
- Give tax credits and other assistance to up to 103,000 families and 15,000 small businesses to help them afford coverage.
- Improve Medicare for 108,000 beneficiaries, including closing the donut hole.
- Guarantee that 2,800 residents with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
- Protect 800 families from bankruptcy due to unaffordable health care costs.
- Allow 43,000 young adults to obtain coverage on their parents’ insurance plans.
- Provide millions of dollars in new funding for community health centers.
- Support Massachusetts' reduction of the costs of uncompensated care for hospitals and other health care providers so our Sixth District hospitals are estimated to save some $24 million per year.